Advisory Changes for the 2023-2024 School Year

As the end of the 2022-2023 school year approaches, there has been much deliberation about what (if any) changes need to be made to the Advisory schedule. On Monday, April 17th, a survey was sent out to the students of AGHS to pool their thoughts on the best time and day to have Advisory.

The initial goal of the Advisory class was to give students a “home base” where they could develop a relationship with a teacher on campus who could provide them with the extra support they may not receive in other classes. Students would have the same Advisory teacher and class for all four years of their time at AGHS in order to have a consistent and helpful environment.

However, students don’t often have their Advisory teacher for any of their other classes, so the advisory teacher does not see the student’s behavior or struggles outside of the Monday period. Additionally, many students tend to skip the class because they view it as unnecessary. This disconnect has led to next year’s changes.

In the 2023-2024 school year, Advisory will remain on Mondays but will take place after second period so that fewer students will skip out on their advisory class. Students will also have a teacher from one of their regularly scheduled classes in order to build a stronger relationship so that their teacher will likely be able to help them more. The idea behind this change is that because the student and teacher will see each other every day, the teacher will be able to evaluate what area the student struggles with and be more helpful. This change also means that students will have a different Advisory teacher each year.

Along with the change of Advisory on Mondays, there will also be the addition of a break on Mondays to allow students time to eat a snack in order to remain focused and not be completely drained by lunch.