Justin Trimble’s dedication to family and sport has secured him a spot on UCSB’s Baseball Team

raphotos.com

photo courtesy of raphotos.com

Madelyn Ferreros, Reporter, Sports Department Editor

Walt Disney once said, “If you can visualize it, if you can dream it, there’s some way to do it.” However, it most likely will take hard work, courage, and resiliency, which is why sometimes dreams simply remain just dreams, sitting on a dusty shelf. But one of  Arroro Grande High School’s very own has put in the effort and has accomplished a dream that he’s held on to since he was a child. 

“It’s been my dream my entire life to play Division I baseball,” said Justin Trimble.

Trimble is a senior this year and verbally committed to play baseball at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) on July 27, 2020. Once Trimble laid his options on the table, he knew USCB was an opportunity he couldn’t refuse.

“I knew UCSB was the right fit for me because of not [only] the great baseball program and the great academics, but the great location for my family to be able to come [to] watch me play,” he said.

Trimble started playing baseball when he was six years old and is fortunate enough to share his passion for the game with his father.

“I’d say my dad has given me the love for baseball ever since I was six.”

He has continued to put in the hard work year after year and he’s had great coaches to help him along the way.

“Other than high school coaches, I have worked with Mike Murphy here in San Luis Obispo who played baseball at ASU. I have worked with Mike since I was eight years old and couldn’t be more thankful for the amount of work he has put in with me,” explained Trimble. 

With help from his coaches, family, and game experience, one of Trimble’s greatest strengths is his mentality.

“I would describe myself as a mentally tough competitor.”

Having a strong and unyielding mindset is one of the toughest aspects for most athletes to develop due to the repetition and amount of work it takes to maintain and perfect certain skills. In many cases, it is the mental toughness that separates the elite athletes from the rest. 

Trimble’s drive to earn a scholarship to UCSB wasn’t fueled only by his desire to further his academic and athletic career, but also by appreciation for his family.

“The biggest motivation has been my family. They have given me so much to set me up for success and helped me strive to be the best I can be,” he explained.

He wasn’t hesitant to acknowledge the roles his parents played in his success and to praise them for it. 

“My parents are [my] biggest supporters during my athletic career, whether it was taking me to tournaments or practices for nearly my entire life,” he expressed. 

“I have worked on my craft mainly for my family to make them proud for all of the time, money, and effort they put in for me.”

Trimble’s love for his family has made him stronger and has given him something other than his future to fight for.

In all, Trimble is grateful for the opportunity to start his new chapter at UCSB not as only an athlete and a student, but as a son who has made his parents very proud. 

“I feel honored to continue my academic and athletic career at UCSB and I am excited to be a part of this journey.”