FFA at AGHS during the COVID-19 pandemic

Nikaela Sheridan, Reporter

The Covid-19 pandemic has affected nearly every aspect of school, from the students and teachers to the sports and events. These events include the National Future Farmers of America Organization (FFA) and student participation in selling livestock at local fairs. 

Last year, students used many approaches to sell their animals. Madison Biaz (‘21) sold her lamb through a private buyer.

“I sold him for $100 to my mom’s friend’s cousin, which was not a profit at all, but it was the best I could get for the situation we are in. The guy just picked him up and drove off with him. I didn’t have to pay for the butcher or anything. He was telling me they’re gonna fatten him up and eat him for Christmas,” said Biaz.

Biaz was one of many who used this method, but some were lucky enough for their animal to sell through the online silent auction that the Santa Barbara County Fair put on.

“This was a big turn of the table for not only FFA members, but also our ag department teachers. Our Arroyo Grande community and companies showed their effort to support our former FFA showmen as their chance of showing and selling their livestock was taken from them because of COVID-19,” said Amelie Guterriez.

“The community came out to support all FFA members at the virtual auction and it was amazing as always to see all the support during these trying times,” said Mrs. Carney, sheep leader, and Agriculture Biology science teacher.

Along with showing their animals virtually for the fair, many showmen demonstrated their hard work through virtual jackpots. Although COVID-19 has caused some trouble for FFA members, they are still pursuing their passion and pushing through the hardships.