Chalk Talk 2023

Pictured: Link Crew and student groups setting up the AGHS KIndness Week Chalk Talk lunchtime activity Photo Courtsey of Sofia Perrine

At Arroyo Grande High School, ASB and Link Crew officials work tirelessly for the first few months of school to prepare for Kindness Spirit Week. Leadership classes held activities and spirit days to facilitate a greater sense of community and acceptance on campus. The week culminates with the organization of the annual Chalk Talk lunchtime activity where students have the opportunity to create and share their art. 

While Kindness Week and the Chalk Talk activity are meant to promote greater inclusivity and campus culture there have been instances of intolerance. This was seen during the 2021 Chalk Talk activity where a Pride Flag Chalk Talk square was vandalized. To mitigate this issue and prevent vandalism Link Crew officials made the decision to give Chalk Talk participants boards to create their art on.  

Student participation in this year’s Chalk Talk event was overwhelming from both chalk artists and their peers. Taylor Dungan (’23) a Link Crew organizer took the lead in creating this year’s Chalk Talk lunchtime activity and had the idea to make a competition where students could vote on their favorite chalk art through a Google Form. 

Students were encouraged to vote for their favorite Chalk Talk art pieces through a QR code.
Photo Courtesy: Sofia Perrine

The overall Chalk Talk winners were Phoenix Moser, Jassmire Munguia, and Adrienne Pina. The winner of the “Singles” category was Jalyssa Castilla. The winner of the “Doubles” category was Kate Lodge and Lily Klapper. The winners of the “Triples/Quads” category were Phoenix Moser, Jassmire Munguia, and Adrienne Pina. 

Congrats to all winners and all who participated!!